Home Page for Academies of Overton that rock the Academies of Nashville
We’ve all heard that question before from students as they do their homework or sit in class. In fact, it is a great question! It is important that learning be as practical as possible, and this is central to our mission at the Academies of Nashville and more importantly, the Academies at Overton.
The Freshman Academy – where it begins for all Bobcats who then move on to one of the following: The Engineering Academy, The Event Marketing and Music Performance Academy, The Health Sciences Academy or the Information Technology Academy.
In the Academies of Overton, the students choose what (and how) they want to learn. JOHS Academies offer a practical, hands-on approach to learning in a field that interests students, ranging from engineering, music performance, digital technology, the states only Associated Press journalism program to healthcare.
Our goal is to prepare students for college and ultimately to go after their dream jobs.
And that means they need to have some control over what they want to learn. How do we do that?
OPPORTUNITIES BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
We want to give our students every opportunity to learn about their areas of interest. At the Academies of Overton, our students receive all of the following:
- Career Exploration Fair: Freshman have the opportunity to talk to industry professionals from more than 400 different career areas.
- Industry Fields Trips: Sophomore students attend industry field trips to to solidify or reevaluate academy choices through real-world experiences
- Job Shadowing and Experiential Learning: Junior students gain insight into the daily realities of their professions of interest
- Internships: Senior level students participate in hands-on experience where they can see the importance of their studies first-hand and form valuable connections with industry professionals.
PREPARATION & INSPIRATION FOR THE REAL-WORLD
We place an extremely high value on first-hand experience so that our students can make informed, inspired choices about their areas of study. Our program includes…
- Academy Showcases: Students can explore what each academy has to offer in order to decide what is right for them
- The Capstone Experience: The final project that Academy students are required to complete in their last year of school. The Capstone Experience includes a research paper, project, portfolio, and presentation.
INTERESTED IN THE ACADEMIES OF OVERTON?
- Find more information through the Bobcat Beat Academies of Nashville Page, Social Media, or call John Overton High School at 615.333.5135.